Camp Roger

Frequently Asked Questions


YMCA Camp Roger is located in Soapstone Basin, 14.5 miles east of Kamas, UT on Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Highway). Camp Address is: 4005 S SOAPSTONE BASIN RD

  1. From Salt Lake City, take I-80 east past Park City
  2. Exit 146 on to US 40 to Heber
  3. Go approximately 4-5 miles toward Heber on US 40
  4. Take Exit 4 to Park City ⁄ Kamas and turn left toward Kamas, 11 miles
  5. Once in Kamas, turn left at the first stoplight
  6. At the NEXT stoplight, turn right on to Highway 150 toward Mirror Lake
  7. Travel along Highway 150 for 14.5 miles until you reach Soapstone Basin
  8. Turn right, go across the bridge and keep following the dirt road until you see the sign for YMCA Camp Roger on your left.
  9. Follow the sign into camp
  10. Located in Soapstone Basin, 14.5 miles east of Kamas, UT on Highway 150 Mirror Lake HighwayTransportation



How can I register my child for camp?

That's an easy one! Just click here to get started.

How much is the deposit?

The deposit is $100 per camper per session, including those applying for financial assistance. Deposits are non-refundable or transferable. 

What forms of payment are accepted?

The YMCA accepts checks, money orders, and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express). Cash is accepted if delivered to the YMCA office during business hours.

When are the final payment, health form, waiver, and camper information sheet due?

Full payment and all camper paperwork are due before your child's camp session. Failure to submit payment and/or completed paperwork by the deadline could result in your child not attending.

Does the health form have to be signed by a doctor?

Each camper's health form must be signed by a licensed medical professional (i.e. doctor, physician assistant, registered nurse) if, on Form 2, any of the asterisked items listed in the Health History Form Past or Present section are check boxed yes. The health form must be signed by the parent or guardian of the child. Unsigned forms will be returned. You can access the form here. If you fill out the electronic version of the Camper Paperwork and you select one of the asterisked items, you will receive the Doctor's Authorization note via email as a PDF.

How can I get a refund?

If you notify the YMCA office at least six weeks prior to your child's camp session, your camp fee will be refunded minus the $75.00 non-refundable or transferable deposit. Campers who must leave camp for medical reasons, not of their own choosing will be sent a prorated refund. A refund will not be given to those campers who miss their camp departure, fail to attend, choose to attend late/depart early or are sent home for behavioral reasons. 


Is Camp Roger a safe place?

YES! All staff at Camp Roger are college-age or older with a clean/acceptable background. They participate in one week of training before camp starts and learn about working with children, child abuse prevention, policies and procedures, emergency training, CPR/First Aid, and more. The maximum staff to camper ratio is 1:8. Staff members are never alone with individual campers.

The facilities at Camp Roger also ensure camper safety. While there are always risks being in the outdoors, the YMCA has made facility improvements to improve the safety of camp. The camp is surrounded by a fence and our cabins provide full shelter from inclement weather. The doors on the cabins and bathhouses lock to keep out unwanted visitors.

Are there phones, computers, or email at camp?

Because Camp Roger is located in the heart of the mountains, communication is very limited. There are neither grounded phone lines nor any cell phone service; however, the YMCA has a satellite phone to make emergency calls and wi-fi to communicate with parents if the need arises. If you have an emergency message that you must get to your camper, please e-mail the director at

What does a typical cabin look like?

All cabins are one-room buildings with six sets of bunk beds, electricity, and a small storage area. Each cabin is decorated by the counselors that live in the cabin so each cabin feels like home. 

How many campers and staff stay in a cabin?

There are two staff and up to ten campers that live in one cabin for the week.

Is there electricity and running water at camp?

The buildings at the camp have electricity. Only select buildings ( I.E., the lodge, restroom, and infirmary) have running water. The restrooms are so modern that it hardly feels like camping.

Are there private or community showers in the bathhouses?

There are community showers in both the girls' and boys' bathhouses. Private showers are available as needed, availability based on the directors discretion. 

What kind of animals and bugs are at camp?

Remember Camp Roger is in the great outdoors so we must share our space with those that were there before we were. Campers will encounter mosquitoes, flies, and the occasional spider or tick. Campers are encouraged to bring bug spray, but for those who do not the YMCA will supply the repellent. The more interesting guests that grace our meadow are ground squirrels/gophers, mice, deer, and moose. In addition, there are beavers and fish in the nearby water sources and occasionally a snake on one of the trails. Aside from the natural animals, we have horses on camp. Depending on the year, we may also have a camp dog. 


What activities do the campers participate in?

The activities offered at Camp Roger include: arts and crafts (i.e. boondoggle, tye-dye), archery, swimming, mountain biking, horseback riding (additional cost), hiking, outdoor education, campfire skits, sports (i.e. basketball, sand volleyball, soccer) and lots of fun!

Can campers with special needs attend Camp Roger?

Camp Roger accepts all children who can spend six days away from home; can bath, get dressed, and use the restroom without assistance; can sufficiently follow instructions, and are comfortable living in a very rustic setting. If your child has special needs, please adequately complete the registration form, health form, and camper information sheet so that we may best serve your child. Camp Roger has welcomed children with learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, epilepsy, and physical disabilities.

What time do the campers wake-up and go to bed?

Campers wake-up at 7:00 am and have lights out at 10:00 pm. Each day is action-packed so campers have free time during each afternoon to provide them with plenty of energy to enjoy all activities.

How many times will a camper get to go horseback riding?

Campers can have the opportunity to go horseback riding around the corral if you opt to pay the additional fee. Horse campers will go horseback riding, plus they will spend time each day with the horses: learning about their daily care, grooming, Western riding, and more. Camp Roger has only 20 horses and schedules horseback riding in every activity slot possible, but unfortunately, the number of horses combined with the campers does not allow for daily horseback riding.


How many staff work at Camp Roger?

There are approximately 40 staff members. Our team consists of 20 counselors, cooks, a health supervisor, maintenance workers, program directors, and camp director.

Are the staff well trained?

All staff must attend a six-day training prior to camp. During this week of training, they are certified in First Aid and CPR as well as receiving extensive education on child development, safety, child abuse prevention, policies and procedures, diversity, conflict resolution, and programming areas. Many of the staff have previous experience working with children or through their college degree courses.

Is there medical staff on-site to tend to the campers conditions?

There is at least one licensed medical professional, such as a CNA, LPN, RN or Wilderness First Responder, at camp at all times. Plus, all camp staff are CPR and First Aid certified.

Can I meet the staff before my child goes camping?

We encourage all new and returning campers to come to the Open House. Parents and campers can meet the staff, tour the camp, and enjoy a piece of the fun that the campers will experience! If you are unable to attend the Open House, you can schedule a meeting with the camp director by contacting them at 801.839.3379 or

Is Camp Roger a religious camp?

Camp Roger is a non-denominational camp that welcomes children from all backgrounds.


Do you offer financial assistance? How does that work?

Yes. The YMCA believes that all children deserve the opportunity to attend camp. Click here for more information.

What is YMCA financial assistance?

The YMCA strives to serve all people regardless of ability to pay. Financial assistance provides fee assistance for deserving campers. Assistance provides the opportunity for kids to attend camp who otherwise might not be able to due to financial limitations. 

Who is eligible to receive financial assistance?

The YMCA uses HUD federal income guidelines based on family size and household income to determine those that qualify for financial assistance.

Economic need is the primary criteria for receiving assistance. Families are eligible regardless of gender, race, color, national origin, religion, financial status, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We strive to achieve more diversity in our campers, and therefore actively seek out relationships with schools and partnering organizations who will help us provide scholarships to a diverse group of children.

As we hope to allow as many children as possible to attend as a result of our fundraising, we grant financial assistance for one session per camper. We welcome siblings from the same family.

What is the process?

To apply for financial assistance, please follow the instructions below:

  1.  Enroll your child in the camp of their choice:  

Log onto our camps website here:  and choose your camp program.  Then click one of the blue registration buttons, create a family and camper profile, and enroll your child in their program of choice.  You will be asked to pay the deposit. If you are unable, select cash/check and we will settle after we receive your financial aid information.

  1.  Apply for aid:

All of our forms have gone digital!  To access the application, return to the purple dashboard screen of the registration website and click on the "Forms" section on the left, then click on your child's name. Instructions are at the top.  You must also upload supporting documents in this section ( proof of SNAP, Reduced/Free Lunch, 2018 tax forms or current pay stubs )

  1.  Email our camps staff at  with your name, phone number, and names of the children applying for financial aid.

We will send you an email when you have been approved.

Note: We will only accept emailed or faxed documents with special permission.  Please call our camp office at 801-839-3379 if you are unable to use our website

What if my financial assistance is not enough?

In the event that the YMCA is not able to provide you with assistance that meets your family's needs, you may request a refund of your $100 deposit but please work with us first to find a price that works for your family. Every child deserves camp.


Do you honor cabin mate requests?

We try to honor cabin mate requests as long as they are the same gender and within a year of one another's age and in the same type of camp.  

How will I know my child is having a good time at camp?

It is typical for first-time camp parents to be worried about their children, but there is no need. From the time the campers get to camp, staff work with the campers to get to know them and help them make new friends. Most campers are so busy having fun, participating in new activities, or laughing with their new friends that they rarely have time to think about missing the comforts of home.

If you provided your email address on the registration form, you will receive a general email update during your child's week at camp. This can be a great assurance for parents! If you are extremely concerned about your child, feel free to contact the director at Please add a photo of your camper(s) to your CampSite account prior to camp. We will upload photos to CampSite and they will email you every time we add a photo of your camper. 

What kind of food is served?

All meals offer several options to accommodate children's varying tastes and needs. Meals are prepared fresh daily to provide the campers with nutritionally balanced choices.

  • Breakfast may be pancakes, bacon, and fresh fruit or biscuits and gravy with sausage. Milk, cold cereal and oatmeal are available every morning.
  • Lunch may be grilled cheese sandwiches, soup, apple slices, and Jello or chicken sandwiches, tater tots, fruit cocktail, and yogurt.
  • Dinner may be a choice of spaghetti with meat sauce or macaroni and cheese, served with a breadstick, green beans, and fruit salad or a choice of tacos or burritos with all the toppings, served with corn, cantaloupe, and a brownie.

What if my child is a picky eater or has numerous food allergies?

Most children are pickier eaters than adults so our menu is planned with the children in mind. We do encourage campers to try everything that is served and we often find that once they've tried it or see their new friends enjoying it they themselves like it too. We do ensure every child gets plenty to eat and if we have a child that will not or cannot eat what is being served the kitchen will supply them with an alternative. If your child has specific dietary needs or restrictions we ask that you contact the Camp Director ahead of time to ensure we are prepared to meet the campers needs.

How do the campers get to camp?

Bus transportation to and from Camp Roger is available for an additional fee of $30 each way. You also have the option to drop off and/or pick-up your child directly at Camp Roger.

Do I need to send general allergy or pain medication up with my camper?

Camp Roger has a fully stocked health center to tend to all of the typical medical needs of the campers. If your child takes an over-the-counter medication regularly, please bring it with you to camp and give it to the health supervisor at check-in on Sunday. If you are concerned with your child having a random headache or scrape, and you have approved the medications section on the health form, the health supervisor can supply him/her with the appropriate over-the-counter medication or bandage supplies.

If your child is taking any prescription medications, please give all medications to the health supervisor in the original container that identifies the prescribing physician, the name of the medication, the dosage, and the frequency of administration. Do not pack any medication. All prescribed and over-the-counter medication must be turned in to the Health Center at check-in.

Will my child have chores to do at Camp?

Yes. YMCA Camp Roger is encouraged participants to share in the responsibilities of keeping camp beautiful and being part of the camp family through the ownership of maintaining the camp. This is done by sharing in daily chores which require about 45 minutes a day. These include dishwashing, cleaning up the lodge after meals, picking up around camp, cleaning the bathrooms and mucking the corral. We believe this is not only a great occasion to come together as a team and share through service, but it ensures everyone can gain pride and ownership in their camp experience

How do I claim lost and found items?

The counselors do their best to ensure that no items are left in each cabin at the end of the week, but there are often articles of clothing left in conspicuous places. The staff attempt to find the appropriate owners for all items before campers get on the bus and depart for home. Unclaimed items are usually sent back on the bus and stored at the YMCA office for convenience; email a description (color, size, any details) of the item lost, camper name and session attended to All unclaimed lost items will be donated to a charitable organization on September 1st.