College-age or older individuals, who possess compassion for children, a love of outdoors and high energy, are needed the month of July each summer to provide leadership for camp activities. Staff are expected to be there for all of staff training, all sessions, and camp clean-up unless prior arrangements are made.
The relationship between campers and counselors is the heart of YMCA camping. All Mill Hollow staff are carefully selected for their maturity, patience, commitment to working with youth and their desire to be a positive role model. Counselors and program specialists are college aged or older; many enrolled in education, recreation or social work programs. Caring, honesty, respect and responsibility are the values that each staff member are expected to display and also expect from each camper.
Mill Hollow Outdoor Education Center
For more than 50 years, Mill Hollow Outdoor Education Center has given youth summer educational opportunities in the national forest in the Uinta Mountains. This year, the YMCA is proud to continue this traditions in a conventional summer camp setting for ages 8-14. Mill Hollow is approximately one-hour from Salt Lake City, in the Wasatch-Cache National Forest. Mill Hollow is an overnight camp with cabin groups of 22-26 boys or girls. Mill Hollow facilities include cabins, a lodge, basketball court, volleyball court, fossil bed, hiking trails, two rec rooms, bird blind, and a large meadow great for running and group games. Campers come for a half or full week camp experience focused on connecting them with the great outdoors.
All camp activities are centered on the YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and the goal of having FUN. We welcome campers from around Utah and the world for a memorable experience that will last a lifetime! Our dedicated staff take pride in helping children develop to their fullest potential.
|Staff Training -||July 1-7|
|Session 1 -||July 8-15|
|Session 2 -||July 15-22|
|Session 3 -||July 22-29|
|Session 4 -||July 29-August 5|
|Camp Clean Up -||August 5|
- Cabin Counselor
- O. E. Insturctor (teaching certification prefered)
- Health Coordinator (significant first aid experience-preferably CNA, RN, LPN, EMT, or WFR; preferred 21+)
- Kitchen Manager (preferably ServeSafe Certified)
- Kitchen Assistant
- Bus Drivers
- Maintenance Worker
ENTRY LEVEL REQUIREMENTS
- 18 years and older with a year of college or 19+ years old
- Ability to function in a rustic setting.
- Ability to obtain or become certified in First Aid/CPR
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, integrity, flexibility and patience.
- Desire and ability to work with children outdoors.
- Must submit health history record and examination form prior to first day of work.
- Model the YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week with irregular work hours.
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing, walking, and sitting (including on the floor or ground) for long periods of time (60 minutes or more).
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds including unloading food, carry trays of dishes, lifting supplies and equipment as needed.
- Physical ability to operate kitchen equipment according to safe recommended methods.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- This is a seasonal position during the summer camp program, June through early August. Counselors are with their cabin group at all times when campers are in camp.
HOW TO APPLY
NEW STAFF: Read through all job positions listed above and choose your top 2 positions in which you would like to apply for. Apply online. Fill out all sections* of the Application Form.
- *Good references are past employers, teachers, and people you have volunteered for.
- *Returning staff means a staff member who has worked at YMCA Camp Roger or YMCA Mill Hollow. If you worked for Mill Hollow while run by Granite School District, please fill out a new staff application and list Mill Hollow in your work experience.